Friday, January 9, 2009

Creamy Tomato and Basil Soup


I just got this recipe from a lady at our church. It is so easy and very yummy. I used my leftover potatoes and tomatoes that needed to be used in my fridge. Then we enjoyed it with some hot out of the oven Honey Wheat Bread

Cream of Tomato and Basil Soup


1 Tbsp butter
2 C Chicken broth
15 oz Diced tomatoes
11 oz tomato puree
1/2 C Plain mashed potatoes
1 C Half and half
3 Tbsp Fresh basil, chopped*
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine butter, broth and tomatoes, simmer until reduced by half.
Decrease heat, add tomato puree, potatoes and half and half.
Blend the mixture until smooth in food processor or blender.
Stir in basil and season to taste.

*I dry fresh herbs from the garden in the fall, chop it up and keep them in the freezer. It tastes fresh and is extremely handy, not to mention...great for the budget.

No comments: